Table of contents
- UBO Term
- Accessing UBO info
- Approved UBO documents
Need help with UBO guidelines in Portugal? This page will show you how to find your company's UBO information and the documents you need.
In Portugal, a UBO is called Beneficiário Efetivo1 or Sócios2.
Accessing UBO info
You can find your UBO information in the Registo Central de Beneficiário Efetivo3 (RCBE), which is the central beneficial owner register.
Approved UBO documents
If the KYC team is unable to access your UBO information from the registry, you may need to submit documents or information to prove ownership:
- Company: a Certidão Permanente4, a RCBE declaration or a Proof of Registration (PoR).
- Freelancers: a Comprovativo da Declaração de Reinício de Atividade5 from the Tax Authority as a proof of registration.
- Self-employed individuals: a personal tax ID number starting with 1, 2, or 3, to associate yourself with your own business activity.
ℹ️ If the company's ownership is not in Portugal, we’ll require a RCBE declaration for disclosing ultimate beneficial owners.
- Document title: your document indicates that it is a Certidão Permanente.
- Company details: company name, fiscal number, UBO details.
Registo Central de Beneficiário Efetivo
- Document title: your document indicates that it is a Registo Central de Beneficiário Efetivo.
- Authenticated document issued by the Instituto dos Registos e do Notariado6.
- Company identification details: declarant details, company name and address.
- UBO information: the date of birth, nationality, personal address, tax details and other administrative data of each effective beneficiary.
- Type of control: the interest held by each UBO, including their assets, ownership structure and voting rights.
Comprovativo da Declaração de Reinício de Atividade
- Authenticated document issued by the Portuguese Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira7.
- Document title: your document indicates that it is a Comprovativo da Declaração de Reinicio de Atividade.
- Date of creation: the date on which the declaration was made.
- Identification details: the tax number and name of the person being taxed.
- Residence details: country of residence, personal address and contact details.
- Structure of personal income tax and its effective date.
Beneficiário Efetivo translates to "Effective Beneficiary", a person with beneficial interests in a company.
- Sócios refers to "Shareholders," indicating individuals or entities with holdings in a company.
- The Registo Central de Beneficiário Efetivo is the Central Registry of Effective Beneficiaries in Portugal.
- Certidão Permanente, translates to "Permanent Certificate", a document with current and official information about a legal entity.
- Comprovativo da Declaração de Reinício de Atividade means "Proof of Activity Restart", confirming the resumption of business activities.
Instituto dos Registos e do Notariado is the Portuguese Institute of Registries and Notary.
Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira refers to the Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority.